Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Adventures in Streaming. Road to twitch.tv! No.1

Equipment, Donations and the waiting game.

A few weeks ago a co-worker (Todd) and I were playing Monster Hunter Generations for the Nintendo 3DS and he asked me why I don't stream it as it's one of my favorite games of all time, I'm good at it and I can play it for extended periods of time without getting bored. My response to him was a simple one "It's expensive to do it right" to which he replies "It can't be that bad. I'd even sponsor you a few bucks to help offset the cost of the equipment". After that I explained what I needed and how much it would cost and that was pretty much the end of that conversation.....until a few days later...


The idea of me streaming my gaming adventures isn't a new one in any way shape or form, There have been many nights I have spent thinking about it and friends would often throw around the question as to why I haven't tried to do it yet. I don't know what it was from this conversation but a few days later I walked up to Todd and asked. "Were you really serious about sponsoring me? It's something I've always wanted to do. (He knew that was the case)" He explained that he was serious and that I should ask those around our workplace who have mentioned it to chip in and it wouldn't take that much were we able to get enough donations.

Now I don't like the idea of asking for money but for some reason I felt compelled to give it a shot. I asked a couple of other co-workers what they thought and they were more delighted to help out than I would have ever imagined. It was completely crazy after all, Me asking people for money for a device that might lead to something bigger with nothing other than the promise of mentions and that I would give it my best to entertain once I received it.

The device in question is Katsu Kity's NISE video capture kit for the Nintendo 3DS. It's a capture device built into the console and is based off of Nintendo's official NITRO capture units that are made by Intelligent Systems. You cannot buy them commercially and I doubt Nintendo has too many of them.

Kity's website located: Here it's an online store for their base of operations in Japan and is a place full of products for video capture from various consoles like Vita, 3DS and even the Wii U Gamepad. There are also some Controller mods and TV-Out mods too which are neat but for my venture and thanks to some pretty amazing donors I was able to get a New 3DSXL with the capture kit. If you buy it with the console they will assemble it for you too. Of course you can send them a console to mod for you but seeing as this is located in Japan I didn't want to risk it. If you are in their area you can stop in and they will do it for you on the spot with minimal wait time but they only take so many walk-ins a day so that's something to consider.

Check out was painless and it uses Paypal so protection is there in case something goes wrong. Upon ordering I got a call from my bank thinking it was fraudulent. After a small conversation everything is all good to go! Now I play the waiting game...

Doing some research on this place I have found because they are so busy with orders and the new Pokemon Sun and Moon game coming out that it may take a couple of months to receive my unit. Good thing I'm a patient person! I couldn't find anything about there being Duty fees on it once it arrives but I'll update this when and if that happens. Below will be a timeline which I will update periodically as things progress.

The unit in question hooked up to a PC through USB.


8/15/2016/7:30pm- Ordered the Unit from http://3dsvideocapture.com
8/16/2016/2:00AM - Recieved Confirmation of order and payment going through
8/30/2016/9:10AM - Emailed regarding placement in line and when I should expect the unit.
8/30/2016/10:25am - Received a reply saying it could take 3 months from order date or I can pay $200USD extra to get my unit shipped in 3 weeks altogether.
9/1/2016 - 9/3/2016 - Within a few days I sent emails out and got replies about it being VR ready and cannot add the controller mod but that's okay. Still waiting for it to ship though.
10/3/2016 - Received email saying my unit has shipped.
10/5/2016 - Received unit!!

Finally I would like to thank a few people for helping make this possible!
Chelsie McShane- (Details on her side business later)
Str8UPShiny 
-We will colaborate once it comes for some shiny Pokemon hunting or something.
Emily Salmi-  Empress Prints Etsy Shop
Check out her Etsy shop where she makes beautiful hand made paintings, drawings and other things. (everyone should buy the Pikachu Bookmark...seriously.)
Eddie D
Receivedathype
AND ALL THE OTHERS WHO WISH TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your streams! May not be able to watch them live but I will check out the archives while I'm farming Monster Strike dungeons;)

    ReplyDelete